Monday 14 October 2013

Limerick Food Trails



Sometimes we all get into a bit of a shopping routine, which in fairness, is necessary. Especially if you're doing any kind of special diet. You need to be organised, you need to plan your meals. You need to make shopping as easy as possible, to make up for all the time spent cooking! But when we get too set in our routine, we can forget about the nicer shopping experiences. Personally my shopping routine has been pretty boring lately and I had almost forgotten about the delights and delicacies available at Limerick's Milk Market. Up until this year I would make a trip to the Market every Saturday morning, always early, to get the best of what's on offer, from bags of apples and raw honey to organic vegetables and freshly-caught fish. I had slipped out of this habit, partly from laziness, (who doesn't love a lazy Saturday morning?) and partly because I'm now getting my organic veggies from a co-operative that I'm involved in.

Last Saturday, my love of the Milk Market was re-invigorated by attending a new venture by Valerie O'Connor of valskitchen.com. You can check it out here Limerick Food Trails and I can't recommend it highly enough. Val knows her stuff, she told us the history of the market and introduced us to wonderful food producers, most of whom I hadn't met before. We sampled a great range of foods, from sushi and oysters to chocolate and baklava! Oh how my taste-buds rejoiced! It wasn't confined to the market either, as we visited the oldest butcher's in Limerick and finished off the tour in Limerick's wonderful Hunt Museum. Even if you're on SCD/GAPS you can totally enjoy this trip. Most of the producers we met were only too happy to describe in detail their ingredients! My highlight of the day were the amazing marinated herrings at the Silver Darlings stall. This is perfect SCD/GAPS food. Irish herrings marinated in a Nordic style with fresh herbs, spices and vegetables. I've never tasted anything like it, its so fresh and of course its totally healthy!



No comments:

Post a Comment